Guacamole is one of my favorite snacks ever. I prefer a simple guac, no cilantro, no jalapenos, no extra spices. I like an easy bare bones version.
Some nice crispy potato chips to dip and you now have the best snack on earth. My husband and I can demolish a whole bowl of guac in one sitting without trying. The best part is, this is soooo good for you! No need to feel guilty over eating a whole bowl of it.
Besides being the best snack ever, guacamole goes with everything…on tacos, chili, quesadillas, fajitas, sandwiches, chicken, heck put it in soup if you want to (maybe not soup).
Chop Chop Chop
So all I use in my guacamole is avocados, tomato, red onion, a little salt and a squeeze of lime or lemon. That is it. That’s all it really needs.
First, cut your avocados into cubes and smash in a big bowl with a fork. Leave it a little chunky. Then chop up your tomato and red onion. Make sure to de-seed the tomato, you do not want all that mushy liquid in your guac. You can chop the tomato and onion as big or small as you want.
Assemble and Taste
Throw some tomato and red onion into the mashed avocados and mix it all together. Then taste it. This is crucial. I like to be able to taste a little of everything, that’s how I know the ratio is right. I want to taste a little zing of onion and a little sweet tomato.
The final step is adding a dash of salt and a small squeeze of lemon or lime (whatever I have in my fridge, either will do). I don’t really want to taste the citrus, I only do a small squeeze to prevent it from browning too quickly. Mix in the lemon and salt and taste it again. If it tastes a little bland still, add a tad more salt. And presto, you have homemade guacamole.
This is a great snack for kids coming home from school or to keep in your fridge for a few days to go to when you want it. If you want to be healthier, you can dip some carrots, red pepper, or snap peas into it instead of potato chips.
Please leave a comment and rating so I can see how you made out. I love to hear feedback! I hope you like my classic easy guac as much as I do.
If you like my recipe or even tried something different, let me know what you think in the comments! A rating and review really helps other people to see my post. I appreciate it 🙂
- 3 Large Avocados, peeled & chopped
- ½ Cup (About 1 Small) Chopped Tomato, de-seeded & chopped small
- ½ Cup (About ½ of One Small) Red Onion, chopped small
- Pinch Salt
- Small Squeeze Lemon or Lime
- In a large bowl, roughly smash the chopped avocado. You can leave a few lumps in there. Chop up the tomato and red onion. The tomato should be de-seeded, you do not want the mushy center. Mix tomato and red onion into mashed avocado.
- Taste it, if you think you need more tomato or onion add some more. Then add a couple pinches of salt and taste again, add a little more salt if needed.
- Add a small squeeze of fresh lemon juice and mix in. Serve cold with chips. Store with siran wrap right on top of the guacamole. Should keep in the refrigerator for about 3 days.